The full Windsor knot is the correct term for one of the most classic and instantly recognizable tie knots known to well-groomed men. Its royal name originates back to the reign of the Duke Of Windsor (King Edward VIII before his abdication), where men would emulate the style of his wide knot tie.
Today, the Windsor knot still bears a strong sense of power to the wearer. The thick, wide and symmetrical knot exude confidence beyond compare. Hence it is a staple in the well-dressed man’s wardrobe for corporate occasions such as presentations and interviews. The large triangular shape of the knot is best suited to a spread or cutaway collar.
The methodology behind how to tie a Windsor knot is advanced to begin with, but once understood it will be second nature and a skill every man should harness. The following steps are for tying a full Windsor knot and are not to be confused with the easier and more contemporary half Windsor knot.
How To Tie A Windsor Knot
- Begin with the tie around your neck with the wide end on your right, and the skinny end on your left. Make sure the wide end is lower than the narrow end, as you will need this extra length for the knot.
- Proceed to cross the wide end over the skinny end towards the left, with the skinny end remaining still.
- Pull the wide end up through the neck loop from underneath and pass it down, still to the left side.
- Cross it underneath the skinny end towards the right and fold it through the neck loop, and pass it down to the right side.
- Cross it back over the skinny end towards the left and again fold it up through the neck loop from underneath.
- Pass it back down through the loop that has been created in the knot.
- Use the wide end to fasten the knot by pulling it down, and slide up towards your neck.
Not only is the Windsor knot the mark of a confident man, but it is also extremely practical and will not slip out of place over the course of the day. It makes for very comfortable wear as it leaves ample room between neck and collar. This allows for men to concentrate on what their day throws at them, and look great while doing so.
Now you have expert guidance as to how to tie a full Windsor, click here to put it into action with a luxurious and long-lasting necktie from Emmett London.